Student Intern (Agronomist/Seed Sales) - Michael Kratky/Pioneer Hi-Bred International (Summer 2019)
This internship is offered through the FHSU/Dane G. Hansen Internship Program.
Michael Kratky, Sales Representative with Pioneer Hi-Bred International, is seeking a student intern (agronomist/seed sales) for Summer 2019. The student will work approximately 240 total hours for the internship. Michael Kratky and the student together will arrange a full-time or part-time work schedule. The start and end dates listed in this post are flexible.
The student intern will work at the employer’s place of business but will be paid through Fort Hays State University.
The intern’s job primarily will be contacting customers, evaluating crop conditions and making recommendations on how to improve the limitations the intern suspects are affecting yield performance. The intern’s focus is to create further beneficial relationships with established customers.
The student intern will gain experience that will be useful as they continue their education and eventually, throughout their career.
The following is general information about Agronomists.
Agronomist Worker Job Profile and Description
Agronomist workers are scientists who work with plants and soils and use their knowledge and expertise to strengthen crop production and improve on soil management. It involves helping people improve their approach and attitude towards soil and plants and thus, contribute to a good output in crop production. The job is based in the agriculture industry but has specific defined roles. Agronomist workers check soil quality against crops that are to be planned in the given farm.
Agronomist Worker Duties and Responsibilities
- Check soil quality compared to crops to be planted.
- Advise on crop planting and crop rotation.
- Collect soil samples in the field for laboratory checks.
- Introduce new technology and products that could improve crop production.
- Determine causes affecting poor yields in soil.
- Advise on land use and land management.
- Assist farmers in modifying their farming methods based on the research carried out.
- Conduct research on the land and consult with farmers.
- Prepare scientific and agricultural documentations and records.