Student Intern (Events and Operations) - Hays Area Chamber of Commerce (Summer 2019)
This internship is offered through the FHSU/Dane G. Hansen Internship Program.
The Hays Area Chamber of Commerce is seeking a student intern for Summer 2019. The student will work approximately 240 total hours for the internship. The Hays Area Chamber of Commerce and the student together will arrange a full-time or part-time work schedule. The start and end dates listed in this post are flexible.
The student intern will work at the employer’s place of business but will be paid through Fort Hays State University.
Internship Description/Overall Responsibilities
The intern reports directly to the Executive Director, and as such will carry out functions and responsibilities as directed by the Executive Director. The Executive Director will assign various tasks related to operations and/or event planning. The internship can be customized to meet the professional goals of the student, which can apply to many different majors or disciplines.
List of Potential Projects and Applicable Skill sets (based on individual qualifications)
- Shadow various office staff, with the goal of experiencing various business responsibilities while gaining stronger skills in various areas to better determine a stronger future career path
- Assist in maintaining various office functions, as well as gain general knowledge of database management and bookkeeping techniques
- Spend time learning/understanding sales cycle and techniques with Membership Coordinator
- Spend time learning/understanding basic management (including personnel development, management philosophies, community involvement) and Chamber Industry opportunities with Executive Director
- Observe various communication methods and strategies with key stakeholders
- As time allows, network and observe interactions with primary Chamber partners, including but not limited to: Grow Hays, Hays Convention and Visitors Bureau, Downtown Hays Development Corporation and the Heartland Community Foundation
- Receive a unique community “spotlight” by attending various community/business discussions as well as being highlighted in our monthly newsletter
Event Planning and Volunteer Management:
- Understand time management, budget control and attention to detail while also gaining basic management skills
- Assist with upcoming annual Chamber events:
- Attend planning session meetings to understand organizational and planning efforts; take on various duties as a result of these meetings
- Assist in setting up meetings, working with volunteers and creating the agenda
- Monitor progress with communication, signage, sponsorship
Through this internship, the student will gain experience in management, communication, relationship building, event planning and other areas.